Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Treasure, Tradition and Mother Mary Loyola

My two youngest (9 and 11) and I have been working our way through the book "Treasure & Tradition" for the past few weeks as part of our Religion class. 
 


Let me tell you, I am so impressed by the amount of information that is in this book! My husband and I had our reversion back to the faith 20 years ago, so you'd think by now we would know quite a bit about the Mass.  Well, I'll tell you that in the first quarter of the book we've been through so far I've learned (or maybe re-learned, as my memory isn't all that great!) a whole bunch of neat things.

One thing that stands out, and that I think about every time I'm at Mass, is the part during the Confiteor where we say "through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault" and we strike our breast three times.  It says in my missal that I'm supposed to do that (the striking part), so I do it, but I never really knew why.  According to what the book said, we strike our breast over our heart so as to try to "break our stony hearts, which so often forget how He suffered for us".  Wow.  That was one of those things that just kind of hit me.  Now when I get to that part of the Mass, I make sure to strike myself with just a little more gusto!

In case you haven't gotten yourself a copy yet, the book is on sale now through March 31st!  Can't beat that, can you?

I've been meaning to write this up for the past week or so and, providentially, Lisa (the author) emailed me today to tell me about another project she's working on.  She's been doing some research on Mother Mary Loyola (the nun who wrote the book "King of the Golden City") and wants to write a biography of her life.  Problem is, much of the information can only be accessed in person....in Europe.  She's started a GoFundMe account to raise the necessary funds to go on her research trip, so if you can and are willing to, she'd love to have your support in this endeavor.  She's even come up with different incentives for donating!  I'm thinking that any biography she does would definitely be enhanced by photographs...so maybe I can get involved in this project, too.

I receive no monetary gain for promoting Lisa's work, I just am so impressed by what I've seen that I hope you'll consider 1. purchasing her work to further your religious education and 2. helping her to bring great books to the Catholic world.

God Bless!