Monday, October 13, 2014

Organized Mail

Since today is a postal holiday, I thought we'd talk about how to deal with that daily pest...the mail.  I suppose some days there is a nice surprise, but around here it is mostly bills and junk.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I don't have a hard time hanging on to things, so as soon as I get the mail in I immediately toss all junk mail - any advertisements, sale flyers (except the ones I need for Wal Mart), political ads, miscellaneous requests for donations, etc.

That cuts the pile at least in half.  Next, I distribute any mail belonging to someone else in the house to them. 

Finally, I am left with bills and monthly donation requests.  I have a spot where I keep all my bills and donations to pay, so I file the necessary paperwork and corresponding envelope in the proper slot and I'm done.

Occasionally I might have a piece of mail that doesn't fit into any of the above categories so I'll just set it off to the side on my desk so that I can deal with it at a later date.

I almost never hang on to a magazine or catalog to look at later, for we all know that in a busy household "later" usually never comes.  I might save some newsletters for my husband to read, but usually those get stacked up in the family room, so after awhile I just toss the whole pile.  

I can't stand piles of paper for very long, so dealing with the mail as soon as it gets in the house is one of the best ways to stop that from happening.  If the piles never get started, there's nothing to deal with later.

Are you a mail procrastinator?

God Bless!

You can go here to see all of the other posts in this series.