Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Special Place For Prayer

Prayer is such a crucial part of my life; I know it is what allows me to keep doing all that I do.  Partly because of my personality and mostly because of grace, I have developed a pretty consistent prayer routine for my day.  I think that one of the things that has helped me to stay consistent is having a quiet place to pray each day where all of my prayer materials are kept.

In my house, that place is a corner in my bedroom.  I begin every morning here with my morning prayer routine and I end every day there (or close to there if I get into bed :) with my evening prayer routine.  Here are a few pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

First we have the all important space where I put my mug of coffee every morning before starting my prayers!  See, I have my priorities straight...a statue of the Blessed Mother, pictures of all my babies and my mug of coffee.  Let the praying begin.


This is the rocking chair that I've rocked and nursed all my babies in.  Now it serves the purpose of bringing me closer to the Lord in a different way. 


Next to my chair is this small bookshelf that has all of my prayer books and journals as well as some of my personal books that I like to refer to.  This makes it easy for me to have everything right on hand.

 
There are a couple of reasons why this setup is so helpful.  First, I don't have to go searching for my books, they are always right there.  Second, no one else goes into that corner of my room and third, when I'm there, everyone knows what I'm doing so, sometimes, they'll leave me in peace.

If I didn't have this little corner to call my own, I don't know if I would be as consistent as I am.  I know of some moms who don't have space in their bedroom so instead have a little basket where they keep all their personal prayer items and it sits next to their spot on the couch or they can carry it around with them to wherever they are.  No matter what, I think it helps tremendously to have your own little setup.  Whether it be a space in your room or a space on your couch, having all your prayer items in one place that is accessible will definitely make that prayer time easier to accomplish.

If you don't have your own little prayer spot, maybe this Lent would be a good time to gather all of your favorite items together and find a spot you can call your own.  Take this time to get in the habit of retreating to your spot to begin and end your day, or anytime you feel the need to take a "time out" and refresh yourself.

God Bless!