Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Concordance and the Word "Trust"

It all started on August 31st when I read this post over at Sucipio.  Jenny was talking about how she had started a Bible study based on one word in the Bible.  I had never heard of nor thought of doing a study liked that based on a word in Scripture.  Her colorful page made me smile and I new immediately that I wanted to do this.  I even knew what word I wanted to study...trust.  

With that I went in search of my concordance.  Hmmm, where could it be?  The girls had used it for the apologetics class this past spring, but we had put all of that stuff away.

Thus began a week long intensive search of my house for this concordance.  I was really getting upset that I couldn't find it anywhere.  I knew it hadn't grown legs and walked, so where could it be?  I prayed to St. Anthony many, many times to no avail.  By the end of the week I was ready to order a new one, but thought I'd wait one more day.

Saturday morning I was still thinking about it when I walked into the back room where we have some book shelves.  I walked to the shelves, bent down and pulled the book off the top shelf like I knew it had been there all along!

I can't tell you how many times I looked at those shelves.  How many times I ran my fingers over the three rows of books and never did I notice it right there on the top shelf.  Thank you, St. Anthony, for finally showing me where it was (or putting it back there so I could find it :).

Now that I have my book back, and now that my daughter has replaced my Bible that she took from me and started writing in with a much nicer Bible, I began my word study.

The first entry that I looked up spoke volumes to me:

Yet in spite of this word you would not trust the Lord, your God.  Dt 1:32

He's right, in spite of all of the things the Lord has done for me and shown me, I still have a hard time trusting that He is not out to get me.  It comes and goes, but there are times when I really have a hard time believing this:
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Jer 29:11
I think I am really going to like this form of Scripture study.  What a great way to meditate on the words of the Lord.  Thanks, Jenny, for sharing the idea!

God Bless!
  

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful Laura? All the the little tidbits of treasure you find by focusing on a word? I am so glad we are all here to inspire one another.

    PS..it's really addicting : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Theresa, I am so grateful for my other Catholic blogger friends. I can see how it will be addicting :)
    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through Jenny's blog. I was inspired her post too. Alas I need to put Catholic Concordance in the budget before I act on it. I also love her drawings.

    ReplyDelete