Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Peek at this Week

It's the third week of August...most public and private school kids are heading back to the classroom this week, if they haven't already.  In our house this week, Ms 16 yo will be heading into her senior year in high school. When she hit eight grade I couldn't think of any classes for her to take that wouldn't be redundant so we started her on her high school curriculum.  

This past June we sat down and agreed about what it would take for her to finish school this year.  When her books came in last week, she sat down and planned out the year and is ready to go tomorrow.  Man, I love when my  students become self-sufficient!

Now that I have two graduates and one self-sufficient high schooler, that leaves me with the four youngest children to teach.  Last year, and I can't believe I'm admitting this, we didn't have a schedule. Well, at least not a printed one.  I had it in my head and followed it that way but the problem was that no one else could see it so they didn't know what the time limits were.

This year I'm going back to the "certain classes at certain times" schedule and if they aren't done with that work when it's time to move on, they'll have to finish it up on their own time.  I think this will help all of us to stay on track.  I have a lot of projects to complete for my businesses so I'll need everyone else to finish up school in a timely fashion.

To that end, I just went to my website and printed out the worksheets that I use in my book and am going to sit down this week and figure out what our schedule is going to be.  I plan on posting it as soon as it is done because sometimes it helps other people to see examples. 

I'm looking forward to some of the subjects we're going to tackle this year and the kids are, too.  It always amazes me how excited they get over their school books when they first come in and how fast that excitement fades when they have to face them day after day.  

What about you?  Are you ready to start school?  Do you use a schedule?  I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas, and if for some reason you can't leave a comment here (because people often tell me that they can't and I have no idea why!!), then feel free to leave a comment on my facebook page.