Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thankful Thursday


I've not done a Thankful Thursday post before, but since I am trying to encourage thankfulness in our house on a more frequent basis, I thought I would share what we are doing.

The above photo is a picture of our thankfulness book. Each day people are supposed to walk by and jot down things they are thankful for on the right side and then they are free to add some artwork to the left hand side.  You might be able to tell that our artwork does in fact need some help, but so far everyone has been cooperating to a certain degree (the younger ones more so than the older ones).

I've even tried to make sure that I write down things like back pain and headache because we are supposed to be thankful to God for the good and the bad.  I figure if I write it enough I might actually begin to agree with it :)

I've also noticed that many of the things we've been thankful for are food related.  I guess that isn't a bad thing, though I'm trying to encourage them to look beyond the obvious.

This book is located near our kitchen table so that everyone has easy access to it.  I really do hope that it becomes a habit that we will all develop.  A habit of thankfulness is a good habit to have.  I don't want us to be the kind of people who immediately notice the bad in the situation instead of the good.  By practicing this I hope to teach the kids to look for the good in everything, because there is always something good you can derive from every event and situation.

Thank you God, for all you do for us!