Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Mystery Solved

I just remembered that I never told you about the mystery we solved while cleaning out our garage.  

It all started back in the winter when, on a rare day, we needed our snow boots.  We went out into the garage to find them and, as I usually do because we keep our boots in the garage, I tipped mine over to make sure nothing had holed up there during the year. 

Upon doing that, an enormous amount of soy bean seeds came tumbling out of my boot.  Immediately I looked to Mr 11 yo, thinking that this is something an 11 yo boy would find amusing, and asked him if he had filled my boot with seeds.  Unfortunately for him, he chuckled the entire time that he denied doing it.  The chuckling led to none of us believing him, of course, but since he wouldn't admit to it, we went on about our business.

A short while later my husband went out to said garage and did the same thing with his hunting boots.  Upon turning them over, an enormous amount of soy bean seeds came tumbling out.  When questioned again, Mr 11 yo denied doing it, but still couldn't keep the smile off his face or the chuckle out of his voice.

Fast forward a few months to the epic garage cleaning day.  Underneath a pile of stuff, I pulled out a box filled with jackets and shoes.  When I got to the bottom of the box I found this:


 At last the poor lad could be exonerated! I knew there was no way that he had dug down deep into this box to fill a hidden shoe with soy beans.  What we did realize was that the mice in our garage this winter had been incredibly busy.  As my astute hubby pointed out, what else do they have to do?  Nothing, I guess, except move a big bag of soy beans and corn from the bags to various compartments around the garage.  We were amazed at where we found the stuff!

Alas, this poor bloke didn't make it out of the soy bean bag.  We found him like this buried beneath some blankets.  It seems a really strange thing for it to have died while trying to exit the bag, doesn't it?


Of course we all apologized to Mr 11 yo for thinking he was the culprit.  I did offer him some friendly advice, however:  when telling the truth don't laugh and smirk as that makes you quite unbelievable!