Friday, March 16, 2012

7 Quick Takes March 16, 2012


--- 1 ---

I would not be a true Mid-western blogger if I did not comment upon the incredible weather we have been having here this week.  Thursday's high was in the low 80's!!  We slept with the windows open.  My daughter asked if she could run through the sprinkler.  Okay, so I drew the line at that one...after all, it is still only MARCH! 

--- 2 ---

The hardest thing about having a wonderful week like this is the fact that it is still MARCH and the weather could turn back to winter at any moment.  That would be difficult.  I always remind my kids that on the first day of spring in 1992 we had a snow storm (I know that because I was having a baby that day).  It is possible; I just pray that it is not likely!

--- 3 ---

Ms 19 yo's boyfriend is visiting us this week on his Spring break.  He lives a few states away, so when he comes, he stays for awhile and we get to do all kinds of fun things that we wouldn't normally do.  The other day we all went down to the Museum of Science and Industry.  This has to be our favorite museum because of the variety of topics that it covers.  It pretty much has something for everyone.

--- 4 ---

When I was a young student, I remember going down to the museum and walking through this gigantic plastic heart.  You could stand inside of it and hear it beating.  It was very cool.  Well a few years ago they decided to update that exhibit.  Now you can look at this:


Which is a huge, 3D kind of thing hanging on the wall that beats in rhythm with your own heart, but imo, it isn't as cool as walking through a giant, plastic heart.
--- 5 ---

Ms 16 yo and I both love learning about weather, so we enjoyed their weather exhibit.  We sat down and watched a video on lightning and then got to watch them fire off this huge electricity thing (I know, how technical of me :)


I'm not much of a reader or studier in a museum, more of a browser, so for me to sit and watch a whole video about something must have meant it was interesting!


--- 6 ---

Friday will find us on another excursion to the National Shrine of St. Maximilian Kolbe.  Housed in the beautiful Marytown Shrine, we will get to go to Mass and view all kinds of artifacts and information about St. Max, as well as walk around their peaceful grounds.  This is where we go on our silent retreats and I never bring my camera along (for obvious reasons) so I'm looking forward to having it this time!

--- 7 ---
We're heading up to the Shrine because our second performance of "The Seven Last Words of Christ" is Friday night not far from there.  We had our first one last Saturday to a very packed church and rave reviews.  Hopefully this will be more of the same.  Right now, Ms 16 yo is fighting a fever so hopefully she will have it licked by then and will be able to endure the very long day.  If you wouldn't mind, please say a quick prayer for all of us involved in the performance as well as all those who will see it.  Thanks and have a great weekend! 

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

4 comments:

  1. We have also been having amazing weather in western PA, but like you, I know winter could return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to find your blog. It is a fun read and beautifully Catholic (and, like you I too am a midwesterner loving this weather...I may have gotten a bit of a tan today!).

    I am excited to be following your blog. My sister and I recently joined the Catholic blogging community. dosmallthingswithlove.blogspot.com. It is a simple blog that celebrates motherhood in all the small things. We would love to have you stop by.

    In Christ,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nancy, I'll pop over there and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great week in the mid-west. We have had the same temps in Houston but they are somewhat normal. The sad thing is that these temps won't last long. We will 90 soon and then it just stays very very hot until October. I hope you get to enjoy your temps longer than we will.

    ReplyDelete