Friday, October 28, 2011

7 Quick Takes October 28, 2011


--- 1 ---

I'm not exactly a fan of loose teeth.  I can't stand to look at them dangling from even my children's mouths!  So last week when Mr 6 yo lost his first top front tooth, I was glad he kept all of the details to himself.  He worked it and worked it for a good day before his dad relieved him of his burden.


Luckily for both of us, this second front tooth came out without any work at all.  He and his brother were jousting and all of a sudden he came to me and said, "Look, my tooth is gone."  "Where is it?" I asked.  "I don't know", came the reply.  We eventually found it on the floor.  Seems the jousting did the trick.

--- 2 ---

While we are on the topic of Mr 6 yo, we've spent this week backtracking and trying to motivate him to actually learn his letters and the sounds they make.  When trying to come up with a reward system, my first thought was an M & M for every letter/phono combo learned.  After a request from my hubby for something a bit healthier, I came up with coffee beans.  Once Mr 6 yo has enough (decaf) beans, he can have a cup of coffee.  Mr 6 yo thought this was a pretty cool idea and I'm happy to say it has been working :)

--- 3 ---


I read this great article from "Catholic Culture" called:  Catholics Give the Best Parties.  It discussed the art of hosting a successful party.  The gist of throwing a great party is to have a theme (or a unifying event), good food (the kind you have to sit down and eat, not just snack on), a limited number of great drink choices (not just water), good, upbeat but not overbearing music, and a dress code (nothing too casual - encourage people to dress up).  The author even gives Biblical reasons for throwing a good party!

--- 4 ---

Having been at Catholic events where the music could have been a bit livelier, I truly appreciated this quote from the above mentioned article:
Catholic liturgical music is great, but it should be reserved for Mass and Vespers, not parties. Always remember Pope St. Clement’s dictum from the first century: no pagan music at liturgy and no liturgical music at minstrel shows or other non-sacred occasions.


There's just certain music and certain times when good, upbeat and loud is the order of the day :)
 
--- 5 ---

All Saints Day is just around the corner.  If you aren't sure what to do or you want to have a party and need ideas, check out my webpage on what we've done in the past.  (Now there's a great theme for a party!)

--- 6 ---


We're trying to get back into an exercise routine again (ugh) and I just discovered that Wii has Zumba!  I've been wanting to try Zumba for awhile, but haven't ever bothered to sign up anywhere.  Now I think I'll rent it first and see how it goes; I need to see if this body can keep up with the beat before I go and buy it!  I hope it is good because I LOVE dancing as a form of exercise.

--- 7 ---


I guess I must have M & Ms on the brain this week.  This picture was on a Reliv facebook page, along with an article that states that this is what 100 calories of candy looks like.  I found this to be a very depressing picture!  On that note, have a great All Hallow's Eve!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

3 comments:

  1. These were fun to read -- thanks for participating! In particular, I look forward to reading that article about parties. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the same depressing photo of the candy. Not only the calories, but all the bad fats involved. Sigh.

    I also can't stand loose teeth when they are half in and half out making a mess. Yuck.

    I enjoyed your post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great including the candy/coffee bribing. I wonder if after he has the cup of coffee you'll have to change your bribe?lol

    ReplyDelete