Saturday, April 24, 2010

Socialization, Again...

With homeschooling becoming more and more prevalent and society falling apart faster than we can blink, I find it ironic that the first question people still ask when they find out you are homeschooling is about socialization?

Socialization of what? What do they honestly think that our children are missing out on? How to use colorful language? How to engage in behaviors that should never be engaged in at their age (if any age)? How to bully people to the point of suicide?

I'm befuddled. Maybe these people just don't keep up with current events.

Lord Jesus have mercy on us all, for we are all sinners...


Note: Lest I give the wrong impression, I am not trying to insinuate that young people are only socialized in a bad way if they attend a school, whether public or private :)


5 comments:

  1. I suppose your point could be well taken....for a pessimist. Socializing w/others can in many cases be a great opportunity to meet others who have been to interesting places, grew up in different circumstances or who have cultural differences. Sometimes We learn who we are by learning who we are not. People who are different from ourselves stretch our ways of thinking, sometimes changing the way we think, sometimes solidifying what we believe. Socializing should be presented to our children as positive, and as part of God's plan. We should seek out all people. Even the foul mouthed, bullying, disrespectful, and immodest ones. Ask yourself what they can teach you. Each person you meet is an opportunity to learn something about this world and the souls God put in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mr./Ms. Anonymous,
    It has been quite awhile since I have been blessed with your positive and uplifting comments. I always marvel, however, at how you always seem to miss the main point I am trying to make and in this case it was this: Why are people so worried about how homeschooled children are socialized when in reality they should be just as (if not more so) concerned about the socialization that all school-aged children are getting.

    Your point is correct, and believe it or not, is the way that I approach meeting people. Thanks for stopping by!
    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, well I guess ya caught me at a weak moment. I'll make sure to add it to my confession list for next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We should seek out all people. Even the foul mouthed, bullying, disrespectful, and immodest ones."

    I think it is o.k. to protect children from having to deal with this until we, as parents, think they are ready. I have come to beleive that grounding children in a firm moral system (Catholic Christian in my case)should come first. I don't disagree with most of what you have said but as parents we have the right and duty to control who our children come into contact with if we think it may harm them.

    ReplyDelete