Thursday, March 25, 2010

Experiment or Not?

And so I ask you...Is this a picture of a really cool science experiment on mold, or proof that I haven't looked at the leftovers in my fridge in a long time????

I must admit that when I pulled out this container

and opened it I let out a bit of a scream because it looked as if a mouse was in there. Now, after pulling myself together, I realized how impossible it would be for a mouse to crawl into my refrigerator, open a sealed glass container, crawl in and hunker down, but if you look quickly, can't you see how I might think it was a mouse????

Upon further study, we noticed an interesting thing. These are two of the same meal except for one item: the type of noodles I used. The one up above with the mouse mold had regular wheat noodles.

This other one:

had rice noodles. Interesting, isn't it? Just what is it about the difference in noodles that caused the mold to look so different? Any speculations? I'm not much of a scientist, so I really don't know the answer. If anyone out there is a mold expert, however, I'd be interested in knowing the answer.

Just thought I'd share that fun part of our day with you!

In honor of the Feast of the Annunciation, wouldn't it have been cool if I opened it up and it looked like the Blessed Mother? Oh well, no such luck for us. Happy Feast Day!