Friday, October 2, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Vol 32


1.

I haven't been around Quick Takes for awhile so I thought it might be fun to stop back in this week. Speaking of having fun, when was the last time you and your spouse went out and HAD FUN? I'm not talking about going out to dinner and discussing the kids or finances. I'm not talking about that fun trip to Walmart you had last week. I'm talking about going out, just the two of you, and really enjoying yourselves! My DH and I had that chance last weekend. We went out to a ballroom for a surprise 40th birthday party and did some swing dancing. I even wore heels, something I haven't done in YEARS.

I would highly recommend doing something with your spouse just for fun - You know, the kind of thing that memories are made of ;)

2.

Also on the topic of fun, we've noticed that the local deer population is out having fun. We've seen more deer out in the fields than usual, so we figure that either a.) they are taunting my husband or b.) they are heading back to the cities because bow hunting season started yesterday. He won't see another deer until February, I reckon.

3.

On a more serious note, I've been thinking a lot
(and yes, actually trying to do them multiple times in a day) about Spiritual Communions. Father gave a talk last month at our Evening of Recollection about how important and fruitful they are. Just thought I'd remind y'all about them again.

4.

I'm taking a short break from the "Love" book because the book I ordered by Mark Mallett called "The Final Confrontation" just arrived in the mail. Looks interesting. And, yes, it seems to be a book that is trying to shed some light on the times we are living in. I'll let you know what I think when I'm finished.

5.

It can be hard sometimes not to get caught up in all the "doom and gloom" of the times. To that end, I try to remind myself of St. Pio's famous quote:

Pray, hope and don't worry.

If we really trust in Jesus, then this is all we need to do!

6.

I recently joined Facebook. I'm just going to say one thing:

I DON'T GET IT! Am I the only one? (okay, I know that was two things, but I couldn't help myself).

7.

I always marvel at God's timing! I'll fess up, when I was writing this on Wednesday evening I got to this number and didn't know what to write, so I thought I'd save it for Thursday and see what came up. I went over and picked up my "Shorter Christian Prayer" book to read the Wednesday Evening Prayer. One of the first things I read, which goes perfectly along with #s 4 and 5 of today's Quick Takes, was this:

May God, the source of our hope, fill your hearts with peace as you believe in him (Romans 15:13)
Psalm 62
My soul rests in God alone, from whom comes my salvation.
God alone is my rock and salvation, my secure height; I shall never fall.

How long will you set upon people, all of you beating them down, As though they were a sagging fence or a battered wall?

Even from my place on high they plot to dislodge me. They delight in lies; they bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse.

My soul, be at rest in God alone, from whom comes my hope.
God alone is my rock and my salvation, my secure height; I shall not fall.

My safety and glory are with God, my strong rock and refuge.
Trust God at all times, my people! Pour out your hearts to God our refuge!

Mortals are a mere breath, the powerful but an illusion; On a balance they rise; together they are lighter than air.

Do not trust in extortion; in plunder put no empty hope. Though wealth increase, do not set your heart upon it.

One thing God has said; two things I have heard: Power belongs to God;
so too, Lord, does kindness, And you render to each of us according to our deeds.
Somehow I get the impression that this is the whole reason that I did this Quick Takes!


1 comment:

  1. there is a field outside of town we love to drive by and see how many deers are out there

    ReplyDelete