Friday, June 5, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Vol 26


1.

Emily update - Well, this week for Emily has been one of severe trial and yet joy. The other day was probably the closest she has come to dying. She had a very rough day with radiation and collapsed and was rushed to the ER. Her heart rate and blood pressure were all over the place. After awhile they finally got her stabilized and she began to do much better. In fact, yesterday was her last chemo treatment and today is her last radiation treatment. Thank you so very much for all of your prayers because her mother truly believes that it was all the prayers that have gotten her this far. I will let you know if there are any further developments during her recuperation time.

2.

I know there is a lot that one can find to complain about in the Catholic Church today, but we had the incredible honor of seeing the Church in all Her glory. On Wednesday we attended the funeral Mass for Bishop Roger Kaffer. Words cannot describe the beauty of this Mass. There is something that just moves me almost to tears to see that many priests and bishops at one altar. There was at least 10 bishops, probably about 150 priests and countless deacons and seminarians. We were even honored with the presence of His Eminence Francis Cardinal George. It was a very moving tribute to a very holy man.

3.

I'll never forget one of Bishop Kaffer's favorite homilies. I heard it for the first time when we were at Catholic Familyland with him. He was talking about the true presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. Of course I cannot remember the entire thing, but he founded his argument on the statement that either Jesus was telling the truth about Himself in John chapter 6 (the Eucharistic discourse), or He was not. If Jesus was not telling the truth then that meant that either He was a fool, because He was essentially delusional, or He was a liar. I can see Bishop Kaffer even now getting revved up and saying "I know Jesus and He isn't a liar and He isn't a fool". I wish someone would circulate that talk, it is quite powerful!

4.

Because we never have enough to do, we decided to slip in an ordination this weekend. There are three men being ordained this Saturday in the Joliet diocese. Please say a quick prayer for them! I've had a number of people tell me that I should go to an ordination because they are something to behold. I also have heard that the blessings of a newly ordained priest are very special. Can't wait to get those!

5.

Our garden is in, watered and weeded. Actually, it isn't looking too bad. I don't expect that to last for too long, however. We always seem to start out good, but somewhere along the line something happens and our garden ends up a mess. Anyhow, here is a picture of our very first (and very cute) green pepper.


6.

Well, I ordered a new bathing suit from a modest bathing suit company online a few weeks ago. Let me just state that I have a very hard time "seeing" the big picture of things. I cannot envision what a room will look like by looking at a paint chip. Therefore, I also have a very hard time envisioning what a bathing suit will look like from a small rectangular swatch on my computer screen. Let's just say that when I put it on, I looked like a large, florescent house. Thankfully the lady where I ordered it from is allowing me to return it for a darker, solid colored suit.

7.

Well, this shall be all for today because I can't really come up with anything else. We've had a very busy week and my head is still spinning. Unfortunately it won't stop spinning until next Thursday (I hope). Of course, all this running around we've been doing to far off places just when gas prices decide to skyrocket. Oh well. Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that too from one homily from Bishop Kaffer! It was a great thing to listen to and really makes you think!

    ReplyDelete