Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Vine and Branches

We've heard the Gospel twice recently where Jesus talks about the vine and the branches. I love listening to this particular Gospel passage. I've also heard some very good homilies about it this past week. Unfortunately, due to my less than stellar memory, I can't recall any of them right now, but trust me that they were very good.

Anyhow, I read a quote from St. Augustine in my "In Conversation with God" meditation yesterday about this Gospel passage and I thought I would share it with you here. Enjoy pondering it!

"The branches of the vine are most despicable if they are not joined to the vine; and are most noble if they are...If they are cut off they are of use neither to the vinedresser nor to the carpenter. The branches are for one of two things: the vine or the fire. If they are not on the vine they go to the fire; to avoid the fire they must be united to the vine."


3 comments:

  1. What a great quote! It really puts things in perspective for me. On the day of judgment we are either for God or against Him (that is, on the vine or off). We must live our lives for Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HMMM, I think I'll stick with the VINE!

    ReplyDelete