Monday, March 2, 2009

The Little Details of Life

Today we celebrate a promotion among our ranks. Ms 14 yo gets promoted to Ms 15 yo. As I often do on birthdays, I marveled last night at how God has made my children so orderly. Well, not that they themselves are orderly, but that the things surrounding their births are orderly. For example:

- It wasn't until a few months after my seventh was born that a friend pointed out the pattern in their first initials, something we didn't plan and didn't even know had happened. From oldest to youngest they are A M T R T M A. Pretty cool, huh?

- My husband I were both born on the 7th of the month, we got engaged on the 7th of the month and were married on the 7th of the month (okay, so the last two were planned :) so it is only appropriate that our 7th child was born on the 7th of the month!

- 8 out of the 9 of us (my husband isn't sure) were born between quarter after the hour and half past the hour.

- One day as I sat looking at all of their pictures I realized that their birthdays are in order from youngest to oldest. #7 April, #6 June, #5 August, #4 November, #3 January, #2 beginning of March, #1 end of March. How cool is that.

Now I know that none of this is really very important, but it always makes me feel good to know that, even in the small, seemingly unimportant details of life, God is there and in charge. I think He does things like this hoping that we will discover them and enjoy them as much as He does. So today, take a moment to look around and try to see God's hand in even the smallest details. When I do, I'm always amazed at what I find.