Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

New Year's Eve: A time that inevitably makes one think of the dreaded New Year's resolutions. I might think about them, but rarely do I ever make any. That doesn't mean I shouldn't. Of course I should exercise more (okay, I guess that is not accurate - I should say: I should exercise). I shouldn't eat as much chocolate as it gives me a headache and makes me crabby when I eat too much. I should be more consistent in my discipline (this is one I KNOW my kids are glad I don't follow up on!).

The list could go on and on, but it doesn't, because I never even make it. I have no problem making resolutions - and even sticking with most of them - during my yearly silent retreat, but for some reason the thought of a New Year's resolution makes me gag. So instead I will go blindly forward into this New Year without a list of things that I should be doing to improve myself. Even if I made a list, I probably wouldn't remember it after a month, anyhow!

I guess the only resolution that I will continue to keep is to try to remain as close as I can to the Lord so as to keep that connection open and active. This way, if He wants me to do something, I might have a chance of actually hearing Him. Going into uncertain times, I guess the best resolution anyone can make is to remain faithful to their prayer life. To back up that statement, here is Our Lady Queen of Peace of Medjugorje's December 25, 2008 message to the world:

"Dear children! You are running, working, gathering - but without blessing. You are not praying! Today I call you to stop in front of the manger and to meditate on Jesus, Whom I give to you today also, to bless you and to help you to comprehend that, without Him, you have no future. Therefore, little children, surrender your lives into the hands of Jesus, for Him to protect you from every evil. Thank you for having responded to my call."

Even if you don't believe the Blessed Mother is appearing in Medjugorje, there is still a lot of food for thought in those words. May the Lord bless all of you in the coming New Year.

God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Laura,

    You header picture is just gorgeous!

    Thank you for Our Lady's reminder...very true, I need to stop and pray by the Manger...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been talking to the kids about our retreat; how we meditated on talks about God's great love and mercy toward us and then wrote resolutions based on our response to that love. How perfect this time is during the Christmas season, as we meditate on the tender love and humility of Jesus incarnate, to then make resolutions to respond to that love. It makes me wonder if New Year's resolutions were invented by someone following the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. It's all a Jesuit conspiracy! And a darned good one................Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's Resolutions

    ReplyDelete