Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

You know how sometimes you have a meal that you really enjoy eating but you often forget about it for long periods of time? Well that is what today's recipe is for me. I really enjoy a good BBQ pork sandwich (AKA a pulled pork sandwich) but I often forget about it and how easy it is to make. A while ago we bought a whole pig and had it butchered and it came with four shoulder roasts. I had no idea what to do with them, as I had never heard of them before. Then I found out that shoulder roasts are excellent for making pulled pork. If you don't have any sitting around, you should be able to find them at the grocery store or meat market. The good thing is, they are one of the more inexpensive parts of a pig! Here is what I do to make my BBQ pork sandwiches:

I take my shoulder roasts (at least two of them for our size family) and cook them in my roaster at 250 degrees until they are falling apart. You could do it in a slow cooker if you have a big enough one. After that you pull the pork apart (thus the name:) and put it into a pot - if you need to heat it up quickly - or into the slow cooker - if you have time to let the pork sit in the BBQ sauce. I like to mix K.C. Masterpiece BBQ sauce with some honey and then pour it all over the pork, mix it together and then let it sit in the slow cooker for a couple of hours. That's it! When you are ready for dinner, slap some on a bun (or on a plate if you can't eat wheat, like me!) and there you have it. So easy and oh so good. Can't you just taste the lightly tangy taste of that tender pork right now?????

God Bless and have a peaceful and restful Sunday!