Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Continuing Saga of the Fairy Tale Novels

Last week, which was the last of our overly-booked weeks for awhile, my daughter asked me when she should tell me that she and her sister had finshed reading "The Midnight Dancers" (Regina Doman's newest fairy tale novel). I told her to wait until Monday, as we had way too much to do. So yesterday morning she gaily announced that both she and her sister had finished "The Midnight Dancers" and I was free to read it. Therefore I decided that yesterday was going to be my day off so that I could tackle this newest book.

Veni, Vidi, Vici - I came, I saw, I conquered. The book was fabulous. The thing that I found so interesting about this book is that it spoke to me in a different way than the other three books did. Based on my experiences (my past, the people I know and what I know of their past, as well as the lives of my children and their friends) I felt that Rachel was someone I could relate with just because of how I grew up and the type of society/culture I grew up in. When I was in high school, I really knew nothing of God and His love and His beauty and what it was He created men and women for. My experiences were totally dictated by the 80's society I grew up in. My children, on the other hand, are growing up with a different belief system. We are trying to teach them just how loving God is and the beautiful things that He has in store for a man and a woman who love each other and commit themselves to each other in Holy Matrimony. When I was in high school, dating was something you did just to have something to do. I never thought of high school dating as a precursor to marriage. My friends and I saw what happens when that special love that God created is degraded. Since my children have very little experience with this ugly side, I think they are naive as to how ugly it can be "out there in the real world". Therefore, I think this book is a good way to reinforce what it is we are trying to tell them.

We can tell them that there are people filled with evil in the world, but sometimes I wonder how much credence they give us. Reading a book by someone they look up to that tells them this same thing is a great way to reinforce these important lessons. On the flip side, the book also does a great job at showing the beauty, goodness and purity that can exist between a young man and a young lady and how God's light can illuminate their relationship and make it holy.

Thanks, Regina, for another great book!

God Bless!

3 comments:

  1. Laura
    Thanks for another GREAT post! Do you let the author know how you feel about her books? At the conference she asked me if I had read them yet and I had to say no. She said she wanted to know what I thought of them after I read them. God bless! Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pass it to me! :D Haven't read it yet... :( Yeah, I found a lot of things I could relate to...

    ReplyDelete